01: What got you into this fandom in the first place?
02: Do you think you'll stay in this fandom or eventually move on?
03: Favorite episodes/books/movies/etc.?
04: Do you participate in this fandom (fanfiction, graphics, discussions)?
05: Do you think that more people should get into this fandom?
Was tagged by kirarakim again for FMA, Gurren Lagann, and Kino no Tabi.
1) I first heard about FMA from the review here, shortly after the anime began airing. I had just finished reading a book about alchemy, and combined with the fact that it seemed to be a shounen fantasy adventure, it seemed just the kind of thing I would love. So I checked out the scanlations of the first two manga volumes and sure enough, I did love it. Afterwards I started watching the anime, found the fm_alchemist comm and lurked there for about half a year, and started getting active myself around the time the anime began to end...
2) Once the manga and second anime are over, I'll probably move on. I don't do much in the fandom these days anyway, I mostly just enjoy the canon on its own and talk about it with friends, and that's enough. Fullmetal Alchemist will always have a place in my heart as a series, and I cherish my time spent in the fandom and the friends I've made, but the fandom itself isn't worth sticking around in for longer than necessary.
3) My favorite part of the manga has to be Volumes 9-14, basically the whole Central City arc. I can't list my favorite chapters because there's just too many. For the first anime, my favorites were the 5th Laboratory arc and the Lior arc, though I don't know if I can enjoy those as much as I used to since I've become rather jaded with the anime.
4) I used to participate a lot. Translation, some dabbling in fanfiction, making FSTs, making MMVs, meta, discussion, roleplaying, modding LJ comms... I would say my proudest achievements are scanlating the manga, correctly guessing Pride's identity, this video, and creating hagaren_manga.
5) Eh, there are already enough people in it. I would recommend the manga to people I like though.
1) Mostly explained over here. Basically, I thought Simon and Nia looked cute in screenshots, then Kim recommended it to me at Otakon, so I checked out episode 17 and got hooked. Looking back on that post though, I find it funny that I didn't care for the mecha back then; now I love the robots as characters on their own, and it's even one of the reasons I like the show. I've also become a lot more open-minded about the mecha genre and watched more of it since then.
2) I'll probably stay, as long as my enthusiasm keeps up. There's still plenty to explore in fanfic so I can see myself continuing that for a few years, even if no more new material is released. I might get burned out once or twice, but as long as I enjoy the series and the fandom remains cool, I see no reason to leave.
3) Favorites episodes are 11, 15, 17, 22, 25, 26, and 27. I love the 3rd & 4th novel and the drama CDs. My favorites of the Parallel Works are #1, #3, #4, and #8. And once I see Lagann-hen, that will probably become one of my favorite anime movies. :D;
4) I participate...almost too much. Translation, posting news, writing fanfiction, meta, making FSTs, modding comms... Mostly the same kind of stuff I was doing in FMA fandom, but this time I feel like I'm sticking out more since GL fandom isn't as active, and I worry over whether people get annoyed at me for being so openly enthusiastic. It's like I'm dancing on a stage and cricket chirps are coming from the audience, with only a few claps echoing in the theater. But goddammit, I want to be enthusiastic, that's the whole point of fandom! I'm not an attention whore, I swear... *sigh* Recently I got called a BNF. Not sure how to feel about that. .__.;
5) YES, PLEASE. For every five crazy and retarded fans, there's at least one cool one. Not to put down the fandom as it is now, there are many awesome people in it already, and I'm glad to know them. But I would like more people too. I mean, even Princess Tutu fandom is more active, and that show ended six years ago. :(
Kino no Tabi
1) I watched the first episode of the anime when it came in the preview DVD of an issue of Newtype USA. I got hooked. I began buying the DVDs as they came out, and I'm pretty sure this was after we just got a DVD player, so this is possibly the first anime I collected as a whole on DVD. After I watched all of the anime, I found out about the novels online, bought them, and began teaching myself kanji so I could read them on my own.
2) I've already kinda moved on. My enthusiasm has waned, and there's not much new to explore unless I read the novels, and that takes work. :(
3) My favorite episodes are 2, 4, 6-7, 12, and 13. Love the movies. Favorite novel stories are uhh...I haven't read them all yet and I can't recall all the ones I've read right now. .__.;
4) Once upon a time I translated a few short chapters from the novels. I also tried writing fanfiction, but that didn't really go anywhere. And I RPed as Kino once, but that was short-lived. I mostly just tried getting people to watch it period.
5) Sure, I guess. Don't really care at this point. I do recommend the anime though!